Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mick Hammond: Kendall Grove Back with Tito Ortiz to Shore Up His Wrestling Game




Kendall Grove UFC 80
Getting back in the win column is always a good thing, even if circumstances surrounding the victory aren’t always ideal. No one knows that better than former Ultimate Fighter winner Kendall “Da Spyder” Grove.
Heading into his bout this past Saturday at ShoFIGHT 20 in Springfield, Mo., Grove had a pretty big shift in opponents just a few days out, “I was training for a five-foot-nine stand-up boxer (in Terry Martin) and then four days before the fight I found out I had to fight six-foot-one wrestler Derek Brunson and had to switch it up last minute.”
Grove managed to make the adjustment and pull off a split-decision win, but how he did it has caught the ire of some.
“I’m just irritated because everybody’s like saying I got my ass kicked, but how?” questioned Grove. “I took no damage standing up, no damage on the ground. He’s a strong, physical guy, and he kept me on my back, that’s it.
“I was doing more damage off my back and I think judges are slowly realizing that (is more important than position) and that’s why I got the win.”
While the fight didn’t go quite as he anticipated, Grove feels the win sets him up for a good second half to the year.

Continue Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strikeforce

Followers

ASMM's Blog Archive