Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mick Hammond: Alexis Davis Believes Win Over Hitomi Akano at Invicta Would Keep Her in Strikeforce Hunt





Even though she lost her last fight, women’s 135-pound fighter Alexis Davis may have actually improved her stock.
This past March, Davis squared off against former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman in a hotly contested back and forth fight. Though the majority decision went to Kaufman, Davis is not disappointed.
“Overall I thought it was a great fight, and nobody can say it wasn’t entertaining,” said Davis. “With fights like that there are always things you have to learn about yourself. I would love another chance at Sara again, hopefully.”
Since the fight, Davis has expanded her game even more with a recent move to California. It’s a move she told MMAWeekly.com that was needed and has begun paying large dividends already.
“I’m out in California right now and have changed things up a bit, training with different people and learning new things,” she said. “I kind of had a falling out with my other coach and it was time for a change.
“The amount of MMA fighters, high-level jiu-jitsu fighters and Muay Thai fighters has been a good move for me. Working with women is something new for me. I’ve always worked with guys. You never realize how strong you are until you work with women after you’ve worked with guys the whole time.”
Davis will get a chance to get back in the win column on July 28 when she faces Hitomi Akano in a feature bout at Invicta FC 2 in Kansas City.
“I’m a veteran of the sport, but she really is,” said Davis of Akano. “She’s been around for a long time and has fought a lot of great opponents. A fighter like her is strong-headed and doesn’t give up.
“She’s a southpaw, and it’s the second time I’ve fought a southpaw; so I have some experience in that. I’ve also got to be more worried about her ground game than I have for a lot of my fights. She’s got slick transitions and good submissions. I’ve been working all aspects of my game, but in this case I think I’ll have a stronger stand-up game.”
Should Davis defeat Akano, she hopes to return to Strikeforce and be right back in the title picture.
“Even though having a loss with Kaufman in my last fight, I still feel like I’m in top title contention,” she said. “To have an all-out war with a fighter like Sarah Kaufman and just bang for three rounds should keep me in line for the title.”
With Kaufman facing Ronda Rousey for Strikeforce’s bantamweight title in August, Davis was asked whom she would like to face if she’s able to return to the promotion later this year.
“I kind of want both,” She replied. “I’d like to fight Rousey because everybody’s all up on that slick little armbar of hers, but I don’t think she’s fought a fighter like me with my level of ground game. But then again, what I wouldn’t give to fight Sarah Kaufman again. I figure I got a win/win situation (either way).”

E-mail Mick HammondFor more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strikeforce

Followers

ASMM's Blog Archive