Ronda Rousey burst onto the MMA scene as the brash judoka with a propensity for snapping limbs with the most vicious arm bar since Rickson Gracie. Then someone decided to put a microphone in front of her and what happened next could only be called pure gold.
Here was this attractive female who had an ability to not only speak eloquently but also could verbally destroy her opponents. She saw a need in women's MMA for a female to not approach pre-fight hype with politeness:
"Before I came along it seemed like a Miss America pageant to me. Like 'oh yes, I want world peace and this girl is very nice and the other day we sat down and brushed each other's hair. We were going to watch the Fifth Element but Ronda took the DVD so we were forced to watch not a good movie.' It was just so boring," Rousey told Bleacher Report today.
Naturally, fans started to draw the comparison to Chael Sonnen, who may be the best promo man in MMA. Both have an innate ability in front of the microphone and media that could make even the best MC jealous:
"So I looked at what all the guys were doing and what was working. Chael's a good example. The way that he fights is not the most exciting ever so he found a way to supplement that. If I can be an exciting fighter and do all these other things then everything is going to take off.
"I think it's a similar idea. Chael has more of this character that's very opposite from who he is behind the camera. When you have the camera on him and you have the camera off him, it's very very different," Rousey said. "If there's a camera on me or off me, it's roughly the same just a lot less energy. I think he has an different personality he created for MMA."
Though there are similarities on the microphone, don't expect for Ronda to be rooting for Sonnen on Saturday night. As a fan of Anderson Silva, Rousey sees Sonnen's trash talk as incredibly stupid when trying to get under the "Spider's" skin.
"I think that Anderson Silva pissed off and healthy is going to destroy Chael...I think a lot of questions will be answered in this fight. I'm excited and so is everyone else."