Aug 10, 2012 - Speaking optimistically about his
Overeem said on Thursday night's MMA Uncensored Live on Spike TV that he and
his team would soon go in front of the Nevada state athletic commission (NSAC)
with hopes of receiving a conditional license for a possible Dec. 29 heavyweight
title fight against champion Junior dos
Santos. He even went so far as to say that a date for the meeting had been
tentatively set, but not confirmed.
This came as news to the
commission's executive director, Keith Kizer, on Friday morning, who told MMA
Fighting that while NSAC will hold its regular monthly meeting on August 24,
Overeem is not among the scheduled topics of discussion. In fact, he said, he
hasn't even heard from anyone in Overeem's camp about putting him on the
"That must be wishful thinking," he said. "He will not be on the
Furthermore, Kizer said under existing state statutes,
Overeem would not be able to apply for a license until December 27, making his
eligibility for a fight two days later a near-impossibility. In effect, Kizer
said, there is no legal way to grant him an early hearing.
"I see no way
to do that. I know of none," he said. "But even if the commission had some
discretion to grant some waiver of time, I personally don't see this as the
case. I'd be against that. There is some discretion at the commission level, but
I don't think this is the case to use that discretion. This is not just a guy
who engaged in cheating, but a guy who ran out the front door when the testing
was being done."
The last comment is in reference to Overeem's March 27
drug screening that eventually tested positive for an increased T/E ratio.
During an April NSAC hearing about the matter, Kizer testified that Overeem sped
out of the MGM Grand after being told he would be subject to a test before
returning after prodding from UFC management.
Kizer said that Overeem
would be able to take some goodwill steps towards the future licensing process
including getting his medicals done and having them prepared to file on the
first day of eligibility, but that his licensing was unlikely to be moved
That goes against the hope of Overeem, who said on Thursday, "I think we will
get it sooner. Maybe a conditional license that I have to appear and do some
"We have a set date," he went on to say when asked if he was set to see the
commission. "This month."
While Overeem will not be going in front of NSAC in August, Kizer did note
that through the UFC, he has received results of drug testing that Overeem
"I can't speak for the commissioners, but I give him a
little credit for it," he said. "I appreciate the effort. I'm not sure how
relevant it is though. I guess any negative test has some merit. It definitely
beats any positive result."
In the meantime, Kizer said the commission
can still request a random sample of Overeem, with the results affecting his
future standing in Nevada.
"If he fails or if he refuses to test, that
would be a factor [in the licensing process]," he said. "Or if he passed, that
would be a factor, too. There's always the ability to ask."
and even UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta recently voiced a hope that the former Strikeforce
champion could be licensed early, paving the way for a long-awaited matchup with
dos Santos in December, if Kizer's interpretation of the state's rules are
correct, it won't happen on their time frame. Instead, Overeem will have to wait
things out and re-apply on Dec. 27. And if that's the case, with promotion
critical to an event's success and no certainty to Overeem's situation until two
days before fight night, Cain
Velasquez is likely to rematch with the man that beat him for the gold.