Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wombat Sports: Fighters Talk Rosi Sexton vs. Ash “The Bash” Daly




What is a fight we have been wanting for years, two of Europe’s best flyweights will finally go at it live in Dublin, Ireland.
England’s best female fighter Rosi Sexton will take on Ireland’s Ash “The Bash” Daly in the semi-finals of the Cage Warriors flyweight tournament Saturday, which will stream live on MMAJunkie.com.
Sexton (12-2) has just celebrated her 10th year in MMA, only losing to Zoila Gurgel and Gina Carano during that time. She has inspired a generation of fighters both in Europe and across the world.
Daly (13-2) just celebrated her 5th year in MMA, and also only has two losses; to Lisa Ellis and Cage Warrior’s tournament finalist Sheila Gaff. Daly is looking to avenge one of those losses in the finals. Daly is the current reigning NAAFS flyweight champion.
With such an epic battle ahead, we asked some fighters for their take on the fight.
Scottish fighter Jo-Anne Calderwood, who also fights this weekend, looks forward to the war of top flyweights.

Calderwood
“This is a massive fight. Both girls are excellent. I’m a little biased, as I have trained with Rosi many of times as she is a friend of the DNFT and visits regularly.”
“I love training with her cause she doesn’t do anything below 100% and is such an intelligent fighter. She has done loads for WMMA and she stuck with it and has got my respect for that. So, I’m with Rosi on this one. She can get the “W”, but Ais will be one of her toughest fights to date.”
“She is from a great camp at SBG and John Kavannagh is one of the best coaches in the game. If it wasn’t the same night as I was fighting, I would have made the trip to Dublin to watch it. I hope its fight of the night on Cagewarriors and another highlight for WMMA.”
Eye
Top flyweight contender Jessica Eye also is leaning towards Sexton.
“I like Rosi. Maybe it’s a little bit personal, but I do think Rosi is a better fighter. I have seen a lot of Aisling fights after we fought. She is one dimensional. I think she wants to stand and strike but as soon as she gets hit, she goes in to what I call the ’10 yard spring’. She rushes she opponent to he fence. I guess that’s how she fights and everyone entitled to that . At some point it will be stop and I think Rosi can do that.”
.
.
Gaff
The winner of the fight will take on Sheila Gaff, who told Ground and Pound Germany
.
“I think that Rosi is the favourite in this one. She is the ‘Grande Dame’ of UK MMA. Sexton fought against more top ranked opponents and has the experience edge. She even fought when MMA was NHB. Nevertheless you can never count Daly out.”
.
The fight will be pivotal in the history of the women’s flyweight division and will shake up the rankings. Can the underdog Daly win in her hometown, or will the experience of Rosi Sexton prevail?
You can watch this epic battle at Saturday morning. The main-card free stream begins at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT on MMAjunkie.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strikeforce

Followers

ASMM's Blog Archive